Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best On Old West Film, Book, TV, And Old West History Discussions

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Staff members
September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:26 pm

» Character and supporting actors
September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat May 07, 2022 2:37 am

» Meet our Staff Members
September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Tue May 03, 2022 6:19 am

» TV WESTERNS ON DVD
September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:06 pm

» December 31 Birthday Wishes
September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:49 pm

» Robert Conrad
September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:14 am

» Richard Devon
September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby bronco Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 am

» Western-heavy John Doucette
September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

» 1940s western movies
September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 am

» Kirk Douglas Centennial
September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Chain Lightning Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:36 am

» FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES
September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby tomgoldrup Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

» Restoration
September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Bullfrogb Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 pm

» Johnny Mack Brown
September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby cap123ny Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 am

» WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION VOLUME 8 MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION
September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Stagecoach Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm

» tv westerns in colour (color) !
September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby chris Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 am

September 7 Birthday Wishes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Manco

Manco

September 7 Birthday Wishes Empty
PostSubject: September 7 Birthday Wishes   September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 10:05 am

Roy Barcroft [1902 - 1969]
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: September 7 Birthday Wishes   September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 11:38 am

Howdy Manco!!

It is impossible to describe all of Roy Barcroft's accomplishments in film, in a short space. Barcroft saw action and was wounded in WW I. He then became a seaman for a while, tunnel digger and various other jobs, before getting a small part in the 1931 film, Mata Hari and he was bitten by the acting bug. From 1931-1953, Barcroft worked for Columbia and other studios, until signing a 10 year contract with Republic studios and was on his way to becoming the most famous"badman" of them all. Cranking out an average of 10 films a year, for 30 years, Barcroft appeared in hundreds of B-westerns and sci-fi films during his career, including My Pal Trigger, The Attack Of The Purple Monster, the Flash Gordon series, and innumerable others. He was the most well known villain of them all. As soon as the kids saw his face, they knew who the bad guy was, even though it took the hero another hour to figure it out!! After 1953, Barcroft began a career in television. He appeared on the Hopalong Cassidy series, The Adventures Of Kit Carson, The Life And Legend Of Wyatt Earp, all the way through the 60's, with appearances on Laramie, Colt .45, Trackdown, The Virginian and just about every western series on t.v.. He once said that he learned everything he knew about being a villain from actor Harry Woods. It is only fitting, that his last appearance was in the 1970 Lee Marvin, Jack Palance film, Monte Walsh. Monte Walsh must have been filmed in 1969, because Roy Barcroft " the greatest badman of them all" died in 1969.

Ed

Last edited by Chain Lightning on Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

Nightlinger

PostSubject: Re: September 7 Birthday Wishes   September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 2:40 pm

I was 7 when Walt Disney's The Adventures of Spin and Marty came to TV. This was my first encounter with not only Roy Barcroft but with Harry Carey Jr. Later, when I began to watch westerns of the 30's and 40's, imagine my surprise in finding that kindly Col. Logan had been one of the most prolific villains in western history.
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: September 7 Birthday Wishes   September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 6:12 pm

Also today:

Peter Lawford (1923-1984), while not usually associated with Western, did appear in episodes of The Wild Wild West and The Virginian, as well as the Western/comedy film 3 Sergeants with his "Rat Pack" pals Frank, Dean, and Sammy. His first wife was Patricia Kennedy, sister of JFK. His second wife was the daughter of Dan Rowen. His 4th and last wife was 17 yrs. old when they married (he was 61!) just months before he died of kidney and liver failure.

John Milford (1929-2000) appeared in a boatload of TV shows from the 1950s to the late 1990s, including most of the Western series.

William Katt (1951-) is also not known as a Western actor, but did play the Sundance Kid in Butch and Sundance: The Early Days. He's probably best known for playing unlikely superhero Ralph Hinkley in The Greatest American Hero.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 7 Birthday Wishes   September 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

September 7 Birthday Wishes
Page 1 of 1