Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best On Old West Film, Book, TV, And Old West History Discussions

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Staff members
Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:26 pm

» Character and supporting actors
Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat May 07, 2022 2:37 am

» Meet our Staff Members
Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Tue May 03, 2022 6:19 am

» TV WESTERNS ON DVD
Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:06 pm

» December 31 Birthday Wishes
Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:49 pm

» Robert Conrad
Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:14 am

» Richard Devon
Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeby bronco Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 am

» Western-heavy John Doucette
Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

» 1940s western movies
Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 am

» Kirk Douglas Centennial
Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeby Chain Lightning Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:36 am

» FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES
Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeby tomgoldrup Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

» Restoration
Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeby Bullfrogb Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 pm

» Johnny Mack Brown
Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeby cap123ny Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 am

» WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION VOLUME 8 MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION
Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeby Stagecoach Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm

» tv westerns in colour (color) !
Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeby chris Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 am

Character and supporting actors

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Laramie

Laramie

Character and supporting actors  Empty
PostSubject: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2020 5:23 pm

So many to list, but these are some I watch for..........Jack Elam, Myron Healy, Ben Johnson, Leo Gordon, James Best, Mickey Simpson, L.Q.Jones. More that I can't think of off hand. Oh yes, can't forget Edgar Buchanan.
Back to top Go down
bronco

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2020 9:41 am

Hi, Funnily enough I saw Edgar Buchanan earlier today in THE SHEEPMAN. Brilliant actor, nearly always stole the show. Bronc.
Back to top Go down
Laramie

Laramie

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2020 3:24 pm

Hi bronco
He certainly adds life and color to any show.
Ha I never known of him doing a war movie, but I bet he would drive the Germans crazy.
Back to top Go down
Laramie

Laramie

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2020 3:46 pm

Bruce Dern another great supporting actor.
Watching him now in an episode of The Virginian along with Lloyd Nolan. Two great actors.I grew fond of Nolan in a Laramie episode. I remember Dern from Jack Lords, Stoney Burke. Not really a western, but good show none the less.
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2020 2:43 am

Always enjoy Bruce Dern. Just ordered a new western from Amazon called "Badland" mainly because Dern is in the cast. Also I think Edgar Buchanan was in about 3 out of every 5 movies made....he was certainly a great character actor. Loved him in "Desperado" with Randolph Scott and Glenn Ford.
Back to top Go down
Laramie

Laramie

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2020 9:53 pm

Hi Tom
I haven't seen Desperado. I will have to try find it.With Scott and Ford it would have to be good. But tell me about Badland. Am I trying to confuse it with Alan Ladd and Ernest Borgnine?
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 2:20 pm

The Ford/Scott film is called "The Desperadoes" (1943).  Badland is a new western (last year) that Boyd Magers in his Western Clippings review says it is good. Just heard from Amazon that my dvd was shipped today so I should have it by Monday or Tuesday. Will let you know what I think of it.
Back to top Go down
Laramie

Laramie

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 3:52 pm

Thanks Tom wilk be looking for your review.
Back to top Go down
Art Pepper

Art Pepper

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 2:59 pm

Bruce Dern also has a small but memorable part in Quentin Tarantino's recent Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, portraying George Spahn, a real-life personage.  Spahn owned the Spahn Movie Ranch, which served as a set for Westerns before it was occupied by the Manson family in the late sixties. Despite what reservations the compadres here may have about Tarantino, I'd recommend this one.  Part of its appeal is that it's immersed in the world of TV Westerns, which by 1969 (the year the film takes place) is already fading.  Perhaps surprisingly for Tarantino, there's a real sense of affection and nostalgia for that world.
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 5:45 pm

Yes, Art Pepper ---- I liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Not a fan of Tarrantino but he can make a good movie and he did with this one. I also liked the atmosphere of that time as it brought back memories of when Jim and I wre in Hollywood in the late 1960's early 1970's. He captured that time well.
Back to top Go down
Laramie

Laramie

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2020 4:43 pm

Somewhere years ago I posted about a character actor by the name of Sandy Sanders. I had seen his name in the credits of many westerns, but never knew which actor he was........ until today.
I finally ran across credits that also named the character he played in the series Buffalo Bill Jr. with Dick Jones.
I mean I wondered about this guy for years. At last the greatest question of all time has been answered.
Usually we discuss how good an actor is. That's hard to do when you don't know who he is. Maybe in the future I can post about his work, but for right now I'm just thrilled knowing the answer to something that has gnawed me for years.
Back to top Go down
Laramie

Laramie

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2020 5:21 pm

Paul Richards....... another great actor, especially in westerns.
After all,he was the man who almost killed Marshal Dillon in the very first episode of Gunsmoke.
He has appeared in many series, Tombstone Territory to Rawhde.
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2020 4:58 am

Besides being an actor, Sandy Sanders did a lot of stunt work.
Back to top Go down
Ray

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 3:48 pm

HI, LARAMIE, my brothers, Tom and Jim, have been keeping me updated on your feelings regarding "The Last Bell...the First of Many". I have been very moved by your deep enjoyment of the film, along with your daughter's comments as well. I haven't been back to the Western Forum bunkhouse much of late, but I have always enjoyed it as a place of meaningful and entertaining discussion and communication and will try to be more present in the future. God bless, amigo. Ray Goldrup
Back to top Go down
Laramie

Laramie

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 7:02 pm

Hi Ray,good hearing from you. I cannot believe The Last Bell has only 96 views on youtube for as long as its been up. I truly wish there was a way to get it into theatres. I am sure the book would sell a million copies. There has got to be another Cecil B. Demille out there somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Ray

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2022 5:18 pm

Thanks for YOUR kind words and heartfelt take on the film, Laramie. The Last Bell was a rewarding experience; I felt like a bird set free from its cage to write in that style, say what I wanted to say, express my feelings and life philosophies in the way I wanted to express them, and in a poetic manner. It was very different and personally satisfying/refreshing to write something less commercial than the rest of the stuff I had written over the years, to break some rules and get away with it.To work closely with Tom and Jim and other family members, and folks like Jeff Greenwalt, etc., to try my hand at directing something. My brothers and I have always been closer than pages in a shut book in a chapter called 'Forever'. And both of them, by the way, all prejudice aside, are very good actors.

Laramie likes this post

Back to top Go down
Laramie

Laramie

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2022 2:37 am

Hi Ray you just write? No acting of your own?
With you doing the writing and Jim and Tom acting,you all could corner the market.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Character and supporting actors    Character and supporting actors  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Character and supporting actors
Page 1 of 1