Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best On Old West Film, Book, TV, And Old West History Discussions

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Staff members
FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:26 pm

» Character and supporting actors
FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat May 07, 2022 2:37 am

» Meet our Staff Members
FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Tue May 03, 2022 6:19 am

» TV WESTERNS ON DVD
FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:06 pm

» December 31 Birthday Wishes
FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:49 pm

» Robert Conrad
FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:14 am

» Richard Devon
FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby bronco Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 am

» Western-heavy John Doucette
FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

» 1940s western movies
FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 am

» Kirk Douglas Centennial
FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Chain Lightning Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:36 am

» FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES
FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby tomgoldrup Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

» Restoration
FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Bullfrogb Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 pm

» Johnny Mack Brown
FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby cap123ny Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 am

» WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION VOLUME 8 MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION
FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Stagecoach Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm

» tv westerns in colour (color) !
FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby chris Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 am

FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES

Go down 
+8
Tinhorn
bronco
cap123ny
Cole Thornton
tomgoldrup
Rocky Lane
Chain Lightning
chris
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
chris

FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 12:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

Apologies for not updating the TV western threads for a while, due to lack of time rather than lack of enthusiasm. Hope to catch up shortly.

Meantime this thread will note recent & forthcoming releases in the TV western field.

RECENT RELEASES

Laramie - Season 2 - Timeless
Overland Trail - Complete series - Timeless
Cimarron City - Complete series - Timeless
The Virginian- Season 6 - Timeless
Wagon Train - Season 5 - Timeless
Fury - Season 1 - (UK Region 2 only) -Network Re-release

FORTHCOMING RELEASES

Riverboat - Complete Series - May 15 - Timeless
Maverick - Season 1 -May 29 - Warners
Bonanza - Season 3 - Vols 1 & 2 - Jul 17 - CBS/Paramount
Yancy Derringer - Complete Series - Aug 7 - Timeless

The following have yet to be confirmed but should be announced shortly. Seems CBS are fast tracking some of their releases, maybe they have twigged we aren't getting any younger.However, in future some of their material will be available on line only, so don't look for it in brick & mortar stores.

From CBS/Paramount

Rawhide S5 Vols 1 & 2 (Sept.)
Bonanza S4 Vols 1 & 2 (Oct)
Bonanaza S5 Vols 1 &2 (Feb 2013)
Gunsmoke S6 Vol 1 (Aug)
Gunsmoke S6 Vol 2 (Oct)
Gunsmoke S7 Vol 1 (Dec) -1st of 1 hour series.
Gunsmoke S7 Vol 2 (Feb 2013)

I also hear Timeless are working on a deal which will bring some further long lost shows to DVD. More info shortly.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 1:41 pm

Howdy Davy!!

Man In The Wilderness was based on the true exploits of a trapper and explorer named Hugh Glass. He along with other men were exploring the upper Missouri River in 1823, when Glass was attacked and mauled by a female Grizzly bear with cubs. The leader of the group. a man named Ashley left 2 men with Glass to assist and or bury him. One of the men was none other than a very young Jim Bridger. After being attacked again by Indians, BOTH Bridger and his accomplice deserted Glass and left him to die. After rejoining Ashley and the group, they reported that Glass had died. Glass survived and his arduous trek back to civilization with a broken leg and wounds on his back so bad, that his ribs were exposed became legend. Glass later found Bridger, but didn't kill him because of his youth. He also didn't kill the other fella, whom he later found. I  believe his name was Fitzsimmons. This is the legend that Man In The Wilderness starring Richard Harris was based on and according to the trailer for The Revenant,  starring Leonardo Dicaprio, it too was based on a true story. Most probably the same!!!

P.S.

I've seen many films about pursuing Indians, who had kidnapped whites, including True Women, Day Of The Evil Gun and others, but I don't remember any in which the Indians were called "Troglodytes" or were about a tribe that didn't even have a native tongue as in Bone Tomahawk.

Ed
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 4:50 pm

Davy---No, the Man in the Wilderness remake stars Leonardo diCaprio and is due out in January. Bone Tomahawk stars Kurt Russell as a sheriff who leads a posse of sorts out after some really bad dudes that, among their other travesties, are brutal  cannibals. I read more on IMDB on reviews and the one I read said it is good but at the end gets very violent. says it is sort vof a western horror film. also says it takes time to get to know the members of the posse with good characterizations. Again, I have not seen it. It is getting limited release at the movies (not in our area) but is available on Amazon prime to rent and watch. We leave day after tomorrow for Utah so don't have time for it at this time. Tonight we watch an episode of The Virginian with Andy Devine, Pat O'Brien and Stuart Erwin that will probably be more to my liking.
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 3:37 pm

Davey, The 'remake' of Man in the Wilderness is titled The Revenant with Leonardo DiCaprio.
Back to top Go down
bronco

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 8:20 am

Hi Gang,
I saw BONE TOMAHAWK last night and really enjoyed it. The most unbelievable thing is that they could have made a Western of this quality for under 2 million dollars.
Kurt Russell and Richard Jenkins are magnificent and Patrick Wilson and Matthew Fox don't exactly let the side down either.It is gory in places, mainly towards the end, but please don't let that put you off seeing a great film.Looking forward to the DVD release. Bronc.
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 1:17 pm

So, if Disney had given this director the $250 million they spent on The Lone Ranger, he could have made 125 movies. No wonder they didn't make the numbers they wanted.
Back to top Go down
chris

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2016 8:50 am

Some brighter news on TV Westerns on the DVD front which indicates they haven't been completely abandoned.

Shout has set up a new division in Orgeon & are looking to release a slew of old TV westerns.These will probably be under the Shout banner , not Timeless.

First up & looking pretty definite is 'The Loner' with LLoyd Bridges, I have seen the artwork for this so it should be along in the Summer. The Sam Peckinpah short lived series 'The Westerner' with Brian Keith is slated for October. Also on the horizon is 'The Monroes' & '.My Friend Flicka' and maybe 'Custer'. Fourther down the line they are hoping to release 'Black Saddle' with Peter Breck & 'Trackdown' Robert Culp.

Meantime 'Death Valley  Days' S2 is up for pre-order at Amazon at a very reasonable $14.99.

Warners put out 'Young Maverick' in their Archive series a short while back. They are also talking about 'Colt 45.' 'The Alaskans' 'Paradise' & 'Hondo' but do seem to be dragging their feet a bit, lets hope it is not just talk.

Another release which slipped under the radar from PD company Nostalgia is 'Stories of the Century' the complete series with Jim Davis. Episodes of this have been out many times on various PD labels but this is the first time as a complete series to my knowledge. The important thing is it has been completely remastered for vision & sound, far superior to the choppy old TV prints on previous releases. I have a copy & would recommend it.

SFM hopede to put out 'Wichita Town' last year but nothing has transpired so sadly it may have been abandoned.

Finally CBS have stated the 'Gunsmoke' S12 (the first colour one)will appear before the end of the year.

So not too much definite but some strong possibilities.

Chris
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2016 4:13 pm

Thanks Chris --- Looking good.
Back to top Go down
indiangirl
Admin
indiangirl

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 8:11 pm

Chris,

Thanks for letting us know that " Death Valley Days" came out on DVD finally. I haven't had a chance to get on here in a while and last evening I had a minute and got on and saw what you wrote. I stopped at one of the Walmart's to see if I could pick up Season 1. They did not have it but I found out last night it's in my local Walmart so maybe this week I will pick it up.

I told Brad, my son last night what you said and he made his way to Walmart last night and found it. ( In California) and got his set of the first season. He too was so excited!

That's great news!

Sandy

tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 8:57 pm

Jim and I are watching one episode a week of Death Valley Days and the second season is now pre-ordered from Amazon for its release in July. As a kid we watched that series each week and two episodes remained in my memory....one that took place in the town that we lived, even though it was far from Death Valley it told of an important event in California, that being the raising of the Bear Flag in Sonoma. That doesn't come until around Season six I think. The other was of a prospector (Arthur Space being the actor) who is always leaving his family in search of his one big strike. That is on Season Two so I look forward to seeing it again in July after 60+ years.   How the West Was Won season Three is now out and available on Amazon...it includes two stories that Ray wrote.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 12:45 am

Howdy Pards!!

Yeah, the early seasons of Death Valley Days were the best episodes. Seems like after they went to color, the episodes weren't as interesting although they look much better on a color t.v. set. They've been showing them on Encore/Westerns for a long time now, but they keep showing the later color episodes and except for a marathon of 19 hours (I think) they don't show any of the earlier b/w episodes.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: The Rifleman T.v. Series Dvds   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2016 3:18 pm

Howdy Pards!!

Over the years, The Rifleman t.v. series (1958-1963 has been released in V.C.R. form as I recall, although I don't recall (not positive) an official release on dvd. Well, it appears the rights to this great ole series resides with the original producers of this film, which were 3 men and the group was called Levy, Gardner and Laven. They produced The Rifleman and The Big Valley. The series came about because of an episode of the Four Star Productions series, The Zane Grey Theater. The episode was titled The Sharpshooter and starred Chuck Connors, Johnny Crawford, Leif Erikson and Dennis Hopper. This episode was written by none other than Sam Peckinpah and directed by Arnold Laven. This episode spun off The Rifleman series on A.B.C. in September 1958. Well. the heirs to Levy, Gardner and Laven decided to officially release this series sometime ago and, so far, they have released 3 of the 5 seasons in half season form. Walmart has them for 17.95 per half season, which translates to 36.00 per season and over 150.00 for all 5 seasons. I had decided to forego this series and wait until all 5 seasons had been released and then pick them up on e-bay for a much lower price. As it turned out, my daughter gave me the 1st season for Father's Day and I quickly unwrapped them and shoved them into the ole dvd player. The set comes with subtitles for the deaf and even includes the original introductions to this series from 1958 by David Niven, Chuck Connors and Johnny Crawford AND The Sharpshooter episode which aired on Zane Grey Theater, although these introductions and the original Zane Grey episode have not been digitally remastered as THE REST OF THE SET HAS. This includes the remastered episode The Sharpshooter and 39 others. The episodes are crystal clear in both audio and video and are in beautiful b/w. Whoever digitally remastered these episodes did a fantastic job. In the Zane Grey episode, it is difficult to see what Dennis Hopper (as a very young man) was doing when he fired the six gun, but in the digitally remastered episode, it is easy to make out the front end of the Smith&Wesson frame of the double action revolver that he used and pretended to fan the gun as he pulled the trigger 5 times. The Rifleman was a great ole series about a widowed rancher and his young son settling in Northfork, New Mexico in the 1880's. It was a great series and still stands up well after 58 years. Hollywood did have it's finger involved, as the rifle that Connors used wasn't invented until 1892. Nevertheless, it is still fantastic to watch this wonderful series after all these years in beautifully remastered form and Connors, himself, even introduces the episodes, although I believe these introductions were taken from the V.C.R. releases. I say that based on the fact that Chuck Connors died in 1992 and these official dvds weren't released until 2013. Actor Paul Fix would later join the regular cast as Marshal Micah Torrence.  I'm presently figuring out how to acquire the rest of the series. Let's see, there's my birthday, then Christmas, then next Father's Day, then my next birthday, then next Christmas................

Ed
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: The Loner   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2016 2:12 pm

Howdy Pards!!

Chris told us that Shout was going to release this fine ole western t.v. series and sure enuff, I found it at Walmart the other day. Starring Lloyd Bridges, who we will best remember from his 1st t.v. series, Sea Hunt 1958-1961. In The Loner, Bridges plays William Colten, a former Union Officer during the Civil War. After the war ends, Colten heads out west to forget the horrors of the war and this is where the series picks up. Although the series only ran for 26 episodes. starting in September 1965 and ending in Spring 1966, it was a really good series. Created by Rod Serling of the original Twilight Zone and many of the episodes of The Loner were written by Serling.  Reminiscent of the Nick Adams series, The Rebel, Colten becomes involved in one adventure after another, most of which concern the country after the Civil War. Digitally remastered, these episodes are a joy to watch in the b/w in which they were filmed. It's a shame this series didn't last longer, but it's premise had already been done in The Rebel. At any rate, if you get a chance to pick these dvds up, I'm sure you'll enjoy them as much as I did. Lloyd Bridges was always a fantastic actor in his low key style.

Ed

P.S.
I noticed that the series Custer is also now available. I'm really looking forward to the digitally remastered series Black Saddle and Trackdown from Shout.
Back to top Go down
westernnut
Admin
westernnut

PostSubject: good recommendation    FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 6:26 am

Ed,
GOOD recommendation Pard,I,ve never heard of The Loner,unless it was given a diffirent title over here,but I think I would have known because I,ve always admired Lloyd Bridges,a very good,and underrated,actor who,s been in a few.
I loved those 50,s/60,s western tv series,as I,ve said so many times before,they were so well written,aye,those were the days Ed,Cheers Pard.
Davy,westernnut.
ps,after finding out that Ray Goldrup has,finally,got himself a blu-ray player,I  thought,"now HOW am I gonna get Ed converted to blu-ray"?????? HA! just joking Pard,well,maybe "NO",ha!
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 4:27 pm

Thanks for the update on "The Loner" being released....checked Amazon and it was not available but I did find it able to be ordered on line from Walmart so it says I should have it by July 8----I have five episodes several years ago thanks to a friend in Ireland and they were good shows so looking forward to seeing the rest. Do you know when Trackdown and Black Saddle will be available?   Tom.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 6:44 pm

Howdy Davy and Tom!!

Davy, I think the only way I'm gonna be able afford to update to Blu-Ray, is like Ray, when my daughter gives me one!!

Tom
As Chris said in his post, Shout is hoping to release The Westerner in October and maybe My Friend, Flicka. Further down the line is Black Saddle and Trackdown, so maybe by the end of the year.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

Nightlinger

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 7:01 pm

For decades, a musical piece kept coming to my mind and I would hum what I remembered. Then a few years ago, I got a CD of music by Jerry Goldsmith for the remake of Stagecoach. Also included was music from The Loner. To my amazement, this was the music I had been humming for decades.

http://www.televisiontunes.com/Loner_%28The%29.html
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 1:22 am

Howdy Nightlinger!!!!

Yep, that's the theme for The Loner and it's included in each episode on the dvds, along with that same voice introduction to the episode and the series. A lot of the ole series seem campy today and appear to have been made for children, but this series stands up well, even after 51 years.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 7:11 pm

Howdy Tom!!

Regarding the Death Valley Days episode about a fella always looking for a lost goldmine starring Arthur Space and Kay Stewart, the name of the episode was Rainbow Chaser and it was shown in May 1954 and it was hosted by Stanley Andrews as the old ranger.

Ed
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

That one will be on the DVD on the second season --- looking forward to seeing it again after 62 years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES   FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion :: Western :: TV WESTERNS ON DVD-
Jump to: