Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best On Old West Film, Book, TV, And Old West History Discussions

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Staff members
May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:26 pm

» Character and supporting actors
May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat May 07, 2022 2:37 am

» Meet our Staff Members
May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Tue May 03, 2022 6:19 am

» TV WESTERNS ON DVD
May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:06 pm

» December 31 Birthday Wishes
May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:49 pm

» Robert Conrad
May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:14 am

» Richard Devon
May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby bronco Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 am

» Western-heavy John Doucette
May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

» 1940s western movies
May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 am

» Kirk Douglas Centennial
May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Chain Lightning Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:36 am

» FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES
May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby tomgoldrup Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

» Restoration
May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Bullfrogb Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 pm

» Johnny Mack Brown
May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby cap123ny Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 am

» WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION VOLUME 8 MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION
May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Stagecoach Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm

» tv westerns in colour (color) !
May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby chris Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 am

May 20 Birthday Wishes

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Manco

Manco

May 20 Birthday Wishes Empty
PostSubject: May 20 Birthday Wishes   May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 11:15 am

May 20 Birthday Wishes Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9bszMfYUL51yItIbFrsWCeHf_l1O0tHdhWXsL8pmF0AyrOg8kMH7czdY Jimmy Stewart [1908 - 1997]

May 20 Birthday Wishes Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQA4Dsf-GZvagajHBHVEPHglm5bZ4uJJ-z4umL_So_v3WLnJBDgR_ZHQOY Anthony Zerbe [1936 - ]
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: May 20 Birthday Wishes   May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 1:13 pm

Howdy Manco!!

From His first western, Destry Rides Again, to his last, The Shootist with the Duke, Jimmy Stewart proved to be one of the top 5 western actors ever. He won his only Academy Award for The Philadelphia Story with Katherine Hepburn and starred in 2 of the best Hitchcock films made, Rear Window and my favorite, Vertigo. While accomplishing all of this, he also made several classic westerns, like Winchester 73, The Far Country, The Man From Laramie, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, The Naked Spur. Jimmy Stewart was the consumate actor, who could pull off any role in any genre film, yet he was a shy, slow talking, modest man from the mid west, not the typically dashing, handsome stereotype like Tyrone Power, Stewart Grainger, Gregory Peck etc. There's been a few good ones come down the pike since, but I've seen no one to fill his shoes.

Anthony Zerbe has been around since the mid 60's and has appeared in several films of note, such as Will Penny, Cool Hand Luke and Papillon. During the 60's and 70's he appeared as a guest star on many of the t.v. series popular at that time, like The Big Valley, Bonanza etc. He had a starring role on the 90's t.v. series, The Young Riders and co-starred on the series, Harry O., but it is his role of "Breed" in the John Wayne film, Rooster Cogburn, that I will always remember him for.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: May 20 Birthday Wishes   May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Jimmy Stewart was a hero of WWII. He had a commercial pilot's license, and had over 400 hrs. flying time before Pearl Harbor. When he was drafted, he was rejected because he was 5 lbs. under weight! He put on the weight, then enlisted. He trained B-17 pilots, and later piloted B-24's over Europe. He won 2 Distinguished Flying Crosses, the Croix de Guerre, and Air Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters. He was in the Air Force Reserves, becoming a Brigadier General in 1959, and was an observer on B-52 missions over Vietnam. He retired in 1968, and was later given an honorary promotion to Major General by President Reagan.

Anthony Zerbe almost always played a bad guy, so seeing him as Teaspoon on The Young Riders was a refreshing change of pace. He also has one of the most graphic deaths in the James Bond series in License To Kill.
Back to top Go down
indiangirl
Admin
indiangirl

PostSubject: Re: May 20 Birthday Wishes   May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 10:25 pm

Jimmy Stewart, what an actor! Was in so many terrific movies. I think he could really do any kind of movie. Home town of where Mike (my husband) grew up since he was about 10 years old. Indiana, Pa.
Happy Birthday up there in Cowboy Heaven, James Stewart. Thank you for all the great movies you have left us to watch over and over again.
Back to top Go down
https://brokenarrowwestern.forumotion.com
Art Pepper

Art Pepper

PostSubject: Re: May 20 Birthday Wishes   May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 1:34 am

Also born on May 20: Constance Towers, female lead of John Ford's The Horse Soldiers and Sergeant Rutledge, and Timothy Olyphant, Deadwood's Seth Bullock.

What else could I add about Jimmy Stewart that hasn't been said already? one of the 20th Century's great screen icons, Western and otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: May 20 Birthday Wishes   May 20 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

May 20 Birthday Wishes
Page 1 of 1