Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best On Old West Film, Book, TV, And Old West History Discussions

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Staff members
December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:26 pm

» Character and supporting actors
December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat May 07, 2022 2:37 am

» Meet our Staff Members
December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Tue May 03, 2022 6:19 am

» TV WESTERNS ON DVD
December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:06 pm

» December 31 Birthday Wishes
December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:49 pm

» Robert Conrad
December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:14 am

» Richard Devon
December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby bronco Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 am

» Western-heavy John Doucette
December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

» 1940s western movies
December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 am

» Kirk Douglas Centennial
December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Chain Lightning Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:36 am

» FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES
December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby tomgoldrup Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

» Restoration
December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Bullfrogb Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 pm

» Johnny Mack Brown
December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby cap123ny Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 am

» WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION VOLUME 8 MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION
December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Stagecoach Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm

» tv westerns in colour (color) !
December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby chris Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 am

December 12 Birthday Wishes

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Manco

Manco

December 12 Birthday Wishes Empty
PostSubject: December 12 Birthday Wishes   December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 10:10 am

Buck Jones [1891 - 1942]
Roberto Contreras [1928 - 2000]
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: December 12 Birthday Wishes   December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 12:24 pm

Howdy Manco!!

Buck Jones began his film career back in 1913 in silent films. Raised on a ranch, he was familiar with horses and guns and after serving in the Moro War in the Phillipines, he joined a wild west show and then started appearing in uncredited roles in film. During WW I, he broke horses for the U.S. Army. Jones appeared in over 160 films between 1913-1942, most of which were westerns and was one of the most popular matinee cowboys in film. In 1941, Jones signed with Monogram Pictures to do a series of films starring himself, Col. Tim McCoy and Raymond Hatton about the adventures of 3 Texas Rangers, called The Rough Riders, starting with Arizona Bound. He had finished 9 of this series, including Gunman From Bodie, Ghost Town Law and Dawn On The Great Divide, when on the night of November 30, 1942, Jones and several of his friends had gathered at the Coconut Grove in Boston, Mass. to celebrate. A fire broke out, which eventually claimed the lives of Jones and over 500 others. The Rough Riders and Buck Jones in particular, were always some of my favorites. Jones had developed a gimmick, which was to unwrap and stick a piece of gum into his mouth, right before the shooting started. The kids picked up on this quickly and always knew when the action was about to begin!! Buck Jones was inducted into the Western Heritage, Western Performers Hall Of Fame in 1973.

Roberto Contreras was an Hispanic character actor, who because of his obvious Mexican appearance was typecast early. He first showed up in film in 1954 and appeared on several of the western t.v. series like, Broken Arrow, 26 Men. Maverick etc, as Mexican bandits, peons, farmers and the like. He was cast in The Badlanders with Alan Ladd and The Magnificent Seven with Yul Brenner as an uncredited villager. He is probably best remembered for the role of Pedro, in The 1967-1971 series, The High Chaparral. He was also cast in The Professionals with Lee Marvin and Burt Lancaster, Alvaraz Kelly with William Holden and Richard Widmark and Gold Of The Seven Saints with Clint Walker. Later he would also appear in Scar Face with Al Pacino, Topaz and Blood In, Blood Out. Contreras did his last acting in 1993 and died in 2000.

Ed
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

PostSubject: Re: December 12 Birthday Wishes   December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Today is also the birthday for Don C. Harvey who made so many westerns that I can't list them all here. At the movies he worked with western stars from Rocky Lane, Gene Autry & Tim Holt to Joel McCrea, Randolph Scott & Glenn Ford, and on TV from the Lone Ranger, Colt 45, Wyatt Earp on through the re-ocurring role of Collins on Rawhide. He died way too young at a bit over 50 years old. A good friend of us three Goldrup boys when we were kids....and the first one to suggest to Ray that he become a writer. His wife Jean was also an actress, and their horse Goldy was the horse used by Bill Williams onthe Kit Carson TV series.
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: December 12 Birthday Wishes   December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 5:45 pm

Also today:

Romanian born actor Edward G. Robinson (1893-1973) starred in tough guy and gangster roles, thanks to his role as Caesar Enrico "Rico" Bandello in 1930's Little Caesar. He would star in gangster movies, film noir movies like Double Indemnity, The Stranger, and Scarlet Street, even a couple Westerns (The Violent Men, Cheyenne Autumn, and McKenna's Gold). Comedian Billy Crystal made fun of his being cast in The Ten Commandments ("Where's your messiah now, see! Nyah!"). He did a make-up test as Dr. Zaius for Planet of the Apes, but passed on the role. His last film was Soylent Green. He was awarded an honorary Academy Award in 1973, but died 2 months before the ceremony.

The Chairman of the Board, Old Blue Eyes Frank Sinatra (1915-1998) started his singing career in 1935, and came under contract with Tommy Dorsey until 1942. He began acting in the 1940s, but by 1950 his career was in decline. His comeback started when he was cast as Maggio in From Here To Eternity in 1953, for which he won an Oscar. By the early '60s he teamed with his pals Dean Martin, Peter Lawford, and Sammy Davis Jr as the "Rat Pack", and recording a string of hits. His Western films are Sergeants 3, 4 For Texas, and Dirty Dingus Magee. He stopped acting in the 1980s, did his last concert in 1995, and passed away after battling Kidney and heart disease and cancer.
Back to top Go down
Art Pepper

Art Pepper

PostSubject: Re: December 12 Birthday Wishes   December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 2:15 am

Tinhorn - you left out Frankie's only really "serious" Western, Johnny Concho. I've seen it but not since 1980 or so. When I was six years old, in 1962, I thought Sergeants 3 was the greatest movie ever made. That opinion lasted less than a year but many years later I came to regard Sinatra as the Greatest Voice of the 20th Century, and felt that being 40 years younger than him to the day gave us a cosmic connection, sort of.

TCM just showed None But the Brave from 1965, the only film Sinatra directed. Caught most of the last hour or so and found it interesting -- U.S. and Japanese units on a pacific island, coexisting unitl they felt forced to shoot it out, with the legend "No one Ever Wins" gracing the screen at the end. And though I'd always thought of it as a "Frank Sinatra movie" Frank-the-actor plays a supporting part and the main American character is -- Cheyenne Bodie himself, Big Clint Walker!

December 12 is also birthday to quite a few other musicians and singers, but I always feature a lot of Frankie. Today I added a few of his bossa nova numbers with Antonio Carlos Jobim to my itunes library.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: December 12 Birthday Wishes   December 12 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

December 12 Birthday Wishes
Page 1 of 1