Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best On Old West Film, Book, TV, And Old West History Discussions

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Staff members
December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:26 pm

» Character and supporting actors
December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat May 07, 2022 2:37 am

» Meet our Staff Members
December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Tue May 03, 2022 6:19 am

» TV WESTERNS ON DVD
December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:06 pm

» December 31 Birthday Wishes
December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:49 pm

» Robert Conrad
December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:14 am

» Richard Devon
December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby bronco Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 am

» Western-heavy John Doucette
December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

» 1940s western movies
December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 am

» Kirk Douglas Centennial
December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Chain Lightning Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:36 am

» FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES
December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby tomgoldrup Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

» Restoration
December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Bullfrogb Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 pm

» Johnny Mack Brown
December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby cap123ny Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 am

» WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION VOLUME 8 MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION
December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Stagecoach Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm

» tv westerns in colour (color) !
December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby chris Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 am

December 10 Birthday Wishes

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Manco

Manco

December 10 Birthday Wishes Empty
PostSubject: December 10 Birthday Wishes   December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 10:59 am

Victor McLaglen [1886 - 1959]
Ray Collins [1889 - 1965]
George J. Lewis [1903 - 1995]
Anne Gwynn [1918 - 2003]
Hal Baylor [1918 - 1998]
Harold Gould [1923 - 2010]
Dan Blocker [1928 - 1972]
Barbara Nichols [1928 - 1976]
Mako [1933 - 2006]
Tommy Rettg [1941 - 1996]
Tommy Kirk [1941 - ]
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: December 10 Birthday Wishes   December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 6:48 pm

Wow! That's a lot of names! And I'm not gonna get help from Ed on this, so here goes:

Victor McLaglen: Just watch the John Ford cavalry trilogy, look for the big Irishman, and you found him! He wasn't really Irish, he was English, a former boxer and WWI veteran who started acting after the war. A favorite of John Ford, he won the Oscar for Best Actor for the Ford directed movie The Informer in 1935. He played Sgt. Mulcahey in Fort Apache, and Sgt. Quincannon in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande. He earned a second Oscar nomination for his role in The Quiet Man. He was the father of director Andrew V. McLaglen.

Ray Collins was a member of Orson Welles' Mercury Theater, and his big break was as political boss Jim Gettys in Citizen Kane. He appeared in other mvoies with Welles, including The Magnificent Ambersons and Touch of Evil, as well as other movies like The Best Years of Our Lives and The Fountainhead, but may be best known as Lt. Tragg on the TV series Perry Mason.

George J. Lewis played in many B movies, serials, and short films, including a couple of 3 Stooges shorts. He's mostly known for playing the outlaw gang member who posed as one of, and betrayed, the Texas Rangers in the first 2 episodes of The Lone Ranger, and later as the father of Don Diego Vega in Disney's Zorro.

Anne Gwynne was a contract player at Universal and a pin-up girl during WWII. She appeared in Serials like Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe, The Green Hornet (1940 serial), The Black Cat (1941), House of Frankenstein, and Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome, The Man from Red Butte, and Ride 'em Cowboy.

I'll be back to do some more bio's later.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: December 10 Birthday Wishes   December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 9:33 pm

Howdy Manco and Tinhorn!!

Tinhorn, they let me out early. Good test results, so I'll try and give you a hand!!

Hal Baylor's career spanned 40 years in film, from 1938-1978. First appearing in 1938, in The Adventures Of Robin Hood, he was one of the uncredited Merry Men. It would be another 10 years before Baylor appeared in film again. He's the fella that the Duke is seen teaching him how to march and hold a rifle in Sands Of Iwo Jima. The funny thing here, is that Baylor fought on Saipan and Tinian as a U.S. Marine in the Pacific during WW II and the Duke never served at all. Baylor's great great grandfather is the founder of Baylor University. Baylor appeared in over 45 films during the 40's and 50's like, Jim Thorpe- All American, River Of No Return, Away All Boats and Big Jim McClain. During the early 50's, like many actors, Baylor turned to the new medium of t.v. and made numerous appearances on The Lone Ranger, The Life And Legend Of Wyatt Earp, Cheyenne ect. Baylor did his last acting in 1978.

Last edited by Chain Lightning on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: December 10 Birthday Wishes   December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 9:35 pm

Hal Baylor also played a boxer in The Set Up with Robert Ryan, and their fight is one of the boxing scenes ever. He was also Lazarus in the Star Trek episode The Alternative Factor.

Harold Gould had been in many TV shows and movies over his 40 year career, most memorably as Rhoda Morgentern's father Martin on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Rhoda, and Miles Weber on 13 episodes of The Golden Girls. He played various German generals on Hogan's Heroes, even though he was Jewish. And he originated the role of Howard Cunningham on an episode of Love American Style called Love and the Happy Days.

Dan Blocker was many things before he started acting: a college football player, Army First Sergeant, school teacher, and rodeo rider. But the thing he'll always be remembered for is playing the gentle giant middle son of Ben Cartright, Hoss, on Bonanza from 1959 until his death in 1972.

Barbara Nichols played the ditzy blonde in various movies and made frequent guest appearances on The Red Skelton Show, The Bob Cummings Show, and The Jack Benny Program. She died in 1975 from damage to her liver and spleen as a result of an automobile accident 20 years earlier.

Mako was a Japanese actor who played various Asian roles over a a nearly 50 year career. He was nominated for an Oscar in 1966 for his role in The Sand Pebbles, appeared in 9 episodes of McHale's Navy and 4 episodes of MASH, both of the Conan movies, episodes of F Troop, The Big Valley, Hawaii Five-O, The Incredible Hulk, and as Adm. Yamamoto in Pearl Harbor, as well as several voice acting jobs.

Tommy Rettig played Jeff Miller on the first 3 seasons of Lassie, and appeared in 18 movies, including River of No Return, and TV shows like Wagon Train, Lawman, and Death Vally Days. Having never being able able to make the transition from child acting, he became a computer programmer. He died of a heart attack at 54.

Tommy Kirk worked for Disney in the 1950s and '60s, first in the Hardy Boys segments of the Mickey Mouse Club, then in feature films like The Absent Minded Professor, Son of Flubber, Old Yeller, and The Misadventure of Merlin Jones. Walt Disney fired Kirk in 1963 for reportedly having a sex with a 15 year old boy, but hired him back due to audience demand. He also appeared in AIP's "Beach" movies with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello. When his career went into decline in the late '60s, he quit acting, and started a carpet leaning service.

Last edited by Tinhorn on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: December 10 Birthday Wishes   December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 9:36 pm

Ed, you would have cramped your trigger finger typing all this up!
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: December 10 Birthday Wishes   December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 9:57 pm

Howdy Tinhorn!!

Thanks for all the good help, Pard!! After 2 separate medical procedures today, which turned up nothing, I needed it!!

Thanks

Ed
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

PostSubject: Re: December 10 Birthday Wishes   December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 2:52 am

Ed, glad that it went well for you today.
Hal Baylor & George J. Lewis are two of the actors we had the good fortune to know personally. George remembered as a boy watching Pancho Villa make his triumphant entry into Mexico City. Hal Baylor's bit in Robin Hood was when he was a student at college in Northern California where part of the movie was made and they used some of the students there as extras. Between that and his first really professional role as an actor, Hal was a boxer for a time and that is how he got his role in The Set Up with Robert Ryan. I think, if I remember right, his first real part was as a boxer in a Joe Palooka movie.
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

Nightlinger

PostSubject: Re: December 10 Birthday Wishes   December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 4:49 am

The character Hoss Cartwright was actually named Eric Haas Cartwright. The nickname “Hoss” comes from his middle name.

From the internet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: December 10 Birthday Wishes   December 10 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

December 10 Birthday Wishes
Page 1 of 1