Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best On Old West Film, Book, TV, And Old West History Discussions

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Staff members
September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:26 pm

» Character and supporting actors
September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat May 07, 2022 2:37 am

» Meet our Staff Members
September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Tue May 03, 2022 6:19 am

» TV WESTERNS ON DVD
September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:06 pm

» December 31 Birthday Wishes
September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:49 pm

» Robert Conrad
September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:14 am

» Richard Devon
September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby bronco Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 am

» Western-heavy John Doucette
September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

» 1940s western movies
September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 am

» Kirk Douglas Centennial
September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Chain Lightning Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:36 am

» FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES
September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby tomgoldrup Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

» Restoration
September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Bullfrogb Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 pm

» Johnny Mack Brown
September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby cap123ny Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 am

» WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION VOLUME 8 MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION
September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Stagecoach Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm

» tv westerns in colour (color) !
September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby chris Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 am

September 17 Birthday Wishes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Manco

Manco

September 17 Birthday Wishes Empty
PostSubject: September 17 Birthday Wishes   September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 10:39 am

George Cleveland [1885 - 1957]
Esther Ralston [1902 - 1994]
Roddy McDowell [1928 - 1998]
David Huddleston [1930 - ]
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: September 17 Birthday Wishes   September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Howdy Manco!!

George Cleveland's showbiz career began a long time before he first showed up as an uncredited actor in 1934. He had already performed for many years in Vaudeville, on stage and the radio. Some of his first films were with the Duke in Blue Steel, The Man From Utah and Star Packer. During the 30's and 40's, he appeared as a character actor in over 150 films, before taking on the role he will be best remembered for. That of "Gramps" on the hit 1954 t.v. series, Lassie.

Esther Ralston was a beautiful blonde silent screen star. Along with her parents, she grew up playing Vaudeville and in the mid 1920's, she appeared as the fairy Godmother in, A Kiss For Cinderella, Peter Pan and An American Venus from which she received her nickname. She also appeared opposite Tom Mix and Hoot Gibson in several westerns. Esther appeared in over 100 films during her career, including the 1933 film, To The Last Man with Randolph Scott. After 1940, her career went into decline and she made a couple of appearances on t.v. before retiring from film. She lived to the ripe ole age of 91 and passed on in 1994.

British born actor,Roddy McDowell is one of the few child star actors to make a successful transition to adult actor. He first appeared in Murder In The Family, back in the late 30's, and
by the time he was 10 years old, his mother had brought him to the U.S. and John Ford cast him in How Green Was My Valley, He also appeared in My Friend Flicka and Lassie Come Home. He played the ape scientist "Cornelius" in the Charleton Heston film, Planet Of The Apes. Roddy missed out on a possible Academy Award in 1963, for his role of "Octavian" in Cleopatra, due to the fact that 20TH Century Fox listed him as a leading actor instead of a supporting actor and the Academy Of Arts And Sciences wouldn't change it, because the ballots were already in the mail. He appeared in over 150 films during his career, including The Greatest Story Ever Told and The Poseidon Adventure. He was raided by the F.B.I. in 1974, for his collection of old films. Seems there was some sort of mixup about "copyright infringement". Roddy continued to act in films through 1998, including several of my favorites like, Overboard, the original Fright Night and The Adventures Of Bullwhip Griffin. Although Roddy McDowell is not thought of as a western actor, he did appear in 5 Card Stud and an uncredited part in The Big Country.

David Huddleston has been around for over 50 years. He first showed up in an episode of one of my favorite t.v. westerns, Shotgun Slade in 1960. Although probably better known for his roles in, The Big Lebowski and Blazing Saddles, he has also appeared in Billy Two Hats with Gregory Peck and Jack Warden, Bad Company, Rio Lobo with the Duke and the t.v. movie, The Tracker. His role as the retired buffalo hunter in Billy Two Hats demonstrated his excellent abilities as a western actor.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: September 17 Birthday Wishes   September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 7:59 pm

Also today:

Pat Crowley (1933-) has appeared in movies and TV shows from 1950 to 2009, including the starring role of Joan Nash in the series Please Don't Eat the Daisies. She's been in episodes of Bronco, Cheyenne, Maverick, Bonanza, The Virginian, and Alias Smith & Jones.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: September 17 Birthday Wishes   September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Howdy Tinhorn!!

I don't know how we could have missed the birthday of an actress as beautiful as Patricia" Pat" Crowley. I remember watching her in all of the t.v. westerns you listed above, including Riverboat, Wanted, Dead Or Alive, Tales Of Wells Fargo and so many others. During the 90's, she appeared on the t.v. soaps, Port Charles and General Hospital. She has continued to appear in film through 2011. A lovely and talented actress, who deserved much better than just her career in television.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Art Pepper

Art Pepper

PostSubject: Re: September 17 Birthday Wishes   September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 1:43 am

Also: Matthew Settle, who played the younger Jacob Wheeler in Into the West. He got to play Tonatzin Carmelo's (Thunder Heart Woman) love interest, which made me jealous.

AND the somewhat legendary Anne Bancroft, who wasn't known for Westerns but appeared in a few of them, including The Last Frontier and Walk the Proud Land.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 17 Birthday Wishes   September 17 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

September 17 Birthday Wishes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion :: Western :: Biographies: Biography, Writers, Actors :: "Today's Birthday Wishes/Greetings-
Jump to: