Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best On Old West Film, Book, TV, And Old West History Discussions

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Staff members
September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:26 pm

» Character and supporting actors
September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat May 07, 2022 2:37 am

» Meet our Staff Members
September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Tue May 03, 2022 6:19 am

» TV WESTERNS ON DVD
September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:06 pm

» December 31 Birthday Wishes
September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:49 pm

» Robert Conrad
September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:14 am

» Richard Devon
September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby bronco Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 am

» Western-heavy John Doucette
September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

» 1940s western movies
September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 am

» Kirk Douglas Centennial
September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Chain Lightning Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:36 am

» FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES
September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby tomgoldrup Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

» Restoration
September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Bullfrogb Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 pm

» Johnny Mack Brown
September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby cap123ny Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 am

» WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION VOLUME 8 MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION
September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Stagecoach Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm

» tv westerns in colour (color) !
September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby chris Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 am

September 15 Birthday Wishes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Manco

Manco

September 15 Birthday Wishes Empty
PostSubject: September 15 Birthday Wishes   September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 10:43 am

Clifton Young [1917 - 1951]
Henry Silva [1928 - ]
Henry Darrow [1933 - ]
Merlin Olsen [1940 - 2010]
Tommy Lee Jones [1946 - ]
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: September 15 Birthday Wishes   September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Clifton Young was a member of "Our Gang" (or the Little Rascals) called Bonedust, and later, as he got older, he got small parts in Westerns and film noir movies, mostly as sneering bag guys. He died 5 days before his 34th birthday in a hotel fire that started when fell asleep while smoking.

Henry Silva's background is Sicilian and Spanish, and played different ethnic roles: Italians, Mexicans and Hispanics, Indians, and even Asians. One of most memorable roles is as Laurence Harvey's North Korean handler in The Manchurian Candidate (and his fight scene with Sinatra is a classic!).

Henry Darrow was born Enrique Tomas Delgado, and is of Puerto Rican descent. He appeared in a number of movies and TV shows, and David Tortort cast him in The High Chaparral after seeing in the play The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit. He was first Hispanic actor to play Zorro on TV in Zorro and Son, and played Zorro's father on the Family Channel's The New Zorro, in which he replaced Efrem Zimbalist Jr.

Merlin Olson was an defensive lineman for the Los Angeles Rams, a member of the Fearsome Foursome with Deacon Jones, Rosey Grier, and Lamar Lundy. His first acting role in the John Wayne film The Undefeated, along with Rams quarterback Roman Gabriel. He the appeared in a few TV shows and movies before being cast as Jonathan Garvey on Little House on the Prairie. He later was cast in Father Murphy as a frontiersman who disguises himself as a priest in order to save a school for orphans. As well as being a color commentator on NBC's NFL coverage, he was the spokesman for FTD Florists.

Tommy Lee Jones first appeared in the movie Love Story in a role that the novel's author, Erich Segal, said was based on Jones when they were roommates at Harvard. He then played for 4 years on the soap opera One Life to Live in the early '70s. He first won acclaim as Loretta Lynn's husband Mooney in Coal Miner's Daughter, which earned him a Golden Globe Award. He won 2 Emmy awards: in 1983 as convicted murderer Gary Gilmore in The Executioner's Song, and in 1989 as Capt. Woodrow F. Call in Lonesome Dove. He became a big box office draw, playing in The Fugitive (for which he won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor), Cobb (as baseball legend Ty Cobb), Men in Black and it's sequel, and Space Cowboys among them.

Also today:

Jackie Cooper (1922-2011) started as a child star at MGM in the early '30s, and continued acting, as well as directing and producing until the early '90s, starring in the TV series The People's Choice and Hennesey, and playing Daily Planet Editor Perry White in the Superman films, and directing episodes on TV shows like MASH, The Rockford Files,Magnum PI, and Cagney and Lacey. He only did a couple of Westerns, most notably The Return of Frank James with Henry Fonda.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: September 15 Birthday Wishes   September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Howdy Tinhorn!!

Re Henry Silva, I've seen him as "Chink" in The Tall T, as "Lujan" in The Law And Jake Wade, as an Apache in the horrible, 5 Desperate Men and also in The Bravados as a Mexican, but his role of Billy Score in the 1981 Burt Reynolds film, Sharkey's Machine has to rank right up there with the most murderous villains ever in film. I'll never the forget the scene, in which he snorts cocaine, or the perverse/excited look on his face, just before he rings the doorbell and when he sees a shadow approaching under the door, he fires both barrels of the sawed off over/under shotgun through the door!! And this guy has the nerve to question why they typecast him as a heavy!!

Ed
Back to top Go down
Art Pepper

Art Pepper

PostSubject: Re: September 15 Birthday Wishes   September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 12:03 am

Happy Birthday to all of the above personages, especially the great Tommy Lee! Also writer/director Ron Shelton, who hasn't generated any Westerns but directed two of (IMHO) Kevin Costner's best performances in Bull Durham and Tin Cup. And let's not forget James Fenimore Cooper, author of the Leatherstocking tales -- those rousing yarns set in a time when Western New York state was the frontier. Mr. Cooper is 223 years young today!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 15 Birthday Wishes   September 15 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

September 15 Birthday Wishes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion :: Western :: Biographies: Biography, Writers, Actors :: "Today's Birthday Wishes/Greetings-
Jump to: