Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best On Old West Film, Book, TV, And Old West History Discussions

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Staff members
Western women I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:26 pm

» Character and supporting actors
Western women I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat May 07, 2022 2:37 am

» Meet our Staff Members
Western women I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Tue May 03, 2022 6:19 am

» TV WESTERNS ON DVD
Western women I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:06 pm

» December 31 Birthday Wishes
Western women I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:49 pm

» Robert Conrad
Western women I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:14 am

» Richard Devon
Western women I_icon_minitimeby bronco Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 am

» Western-heavy John Doucette
Western women I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

» 1940s western movies
Western women I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 am

» Kirk Douglas Centennial
Western women I_icon_minitimeby Chain Lightning Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:36 am

» FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES
Western women I_icon_minitimeby tomgoldrup Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

» Restoration
Western women I_icon_minitimeby Bullfrogb Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 pm

» Johnny Mack Brown
Western women I_icon_minitimeby cap123ny Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 am

» WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION VOLUME 8 MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION
Western women I_icon_minitimeby Stagecoach Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm

» tv westerns in colour (color) !
Western women I_icon_minitimeby chris Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 am

Western women

Go down 
+5
cap123ny
westernnut
iain
Tinhorn
Nightlinger
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Nightlinger

Nightlinger

Western women Empty
PostSubject: Western women   Western women I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 6:56 pm

I stumbled across these pictures of Dale Evans and was reminded what a babe she was. No wonder Trigger had to give up second billing.

http://www.picsdrive.com/dale-evans/1

It made me wonder how we all felt about the women of the western. From Dale to Julie London to Selma Hayek there have always been women in westerns but how has that changed over the years.
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

Tinhorn

Western women Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western women   Western women I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 9:33 pm

Usually, it was always the ranchers daughter, the sod buster's wife, or the girl in the dry goods store were the good girls, and any woman in a saloon was a bad girl. I think Claire Trevor in Stagecoach showed that the soiled dove is no different from other women, if you cast aside your prejudices.
Back to top Go down
iain
Admin
iain

Western women Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western women   Western women I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 1:17 am

Geraldine Paige in Hondo gave Duke a run for his money, and Angie Dickinson in Rio Bravo stand out for me.

Back to top Go down
westernnut
Admin
westernnut

Western women Empty
PostSubject: performance   Western women I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 6:07 am

Pards,

There,s been quite a few Lady,s who haved graced the screen in westerns,but I,m mentioning a couple of "modern" girls,Cate Blanchett and,especially,Anette Benning,in,The Missing and Open Range.

I think Cate Blanchett is an excellent actress,I,ve never seen her being anything less than very good,and in some cases,Missing/Elizabeth,truly excellent/brilliant.

I,ve long championed Gail Russell,but Anette Benning in Open Range captures "the western woman" perfectly,it still mystify,s me how a beautiful woman like her could make herself look "plain",I,m almost certain that Costner thought she was too beautiful for the part until he seen Anette,her own doing,in a "trial effort",but looks aside,I thought she was magnificent,Oscar material.

In fairness,there,s been loads of Lady,s who have graced the screen,I must admit,after watching Hondo blu-ray,that I can see where Iain,s coming from concerning Ms Page,and a wee mention for Virginia Mayo,in Fort Dobbs,she was in a few westerns,but I think she was perfectly cast alongside Clint.

Davy,westernnut.
Back to top Go down
cap123ny
Admin
cap123ny

Western women Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western women   Western women I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Maureen O'Hara will always be the quintessential western woman for me! Iain, have you ever read of the interaction of Duke and Page on "Hondo"? Duke recoiled every time he had to be close to her. Apparently she had extremely bad breath and body odor. Read that in one of my Duke biographies, cant remember which one but I'll look it up.
Back to top Go down
cap123ny
Admin
cap123ny

Western women Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western women   Western women I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 7:12 pm

Robert Fellows cast Page, but Duke had no interest in an inexperienced movie actress.
When she appeared on set Fellows winced.
Her teeth looked as if they had already spent a lifetime
on some frontier where toothpaste and dentist were unknown!
She was immediately packed off to a Holywood dentist,
to be patched up.
Duke was soon to learn why her teeth were in such miserable shape,
Duke's secretary Mary St. John remarked Quote: "She had the hygene habits of a five year old boy,who loathed toothpaste and bathwater.You could literally smell her on set." Apparently her table manners were not much better,eating mashed potatoes and gravy with her fingers.
Duke got so irritated one dinner,that he dumped a plate of food over her head!
Ward Bond recalled,Duke dreaded the love scenes,Quote:"Jesus Christ.... I'm afraid I might puke, the next time I have to kiss her.Maybe if I hold my breath, it won't be so bad". Although Duke never warmed to Page, she was completely charmed by him. Quote:

He's a fantastic, fantastic man....
He's an enormous man, with the boots and the hat, he's about seven feet tall..
I felt so dainty next to him.

I loved him...
Please read John Wayne: American
for a fuller account of Geraldine Page's comments
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

Tinhorn

Western women Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western women   Western women I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 7:29 pm

We've got 5 posts on this thread (not counting this one) and nobody's mentioned Dorothy Malone. So let me be the first. Whether as a blonde or a brunette, she had that sultry look you couldn't ignore.

Western women Dorothymalone17

Yvonne DeCarlo was a very beautiful woman, as well. Most people would immediately think of Lily Munster, but remembered seeing her in several movies made before The Munsters, and was surprised by her beauty.

Western women Yvonne_decarlo
Back to top Go down
indiangirl
Admin
indiangirl

Western women Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western women   Western women I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 7:46 pm

Pards, I am not into Women so I will let this one up to you guys........

There are certain actresses I say were quite beautiful in Westerns though....... Can't name them off hand. I am bad with names and I have to look them up but I don't have time right now.

I'm like you tinhorn, i was shocked how Yvonne DeCarlo was a very beautiful woman. I have seen her lately in some old westerns and I said that's the Mrs Munster ( Lily). Surprised both Mike and myself.

Mike too thinks Dorthy Malone was pretty, but I don't think she was. Maybe in a few but mostly just the normal.............girl.

Oh, I think the fair haired maiden of the East/West Miss Lily is very pretty. And I love some of her dresses. I want them to wear.

There is a difference when it comes to being beautiful and beautiful and sexy. I see a certain dress on one of those actresses and I say there's my dress......or Mike will say to me when we are watching a movie same thing........she has your dress on, that it would look good on me. Very Happy

Back to you guys and your thoughts........
Back to top Go down
https://brokenarrowwestern.forumotion.com
indiangirl
Admin
indiangirl

Western women Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western women   Western women I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 7:47 pm

P.S. those pictures are nice of Dorthy Malone.
Back to top Go down
https://brokenarrowwestern.forumotion.com
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

Western women Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western women   Western women I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Howdy Pards!!

Here , Here, now!!

Let's not leave out Karen Steele, Jayne Russell or Claudia Cardinale!!

Ed
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

Tinhorn

Western women Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western women   Western women I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 9:54 pm

I always thought there was a resemblance between Claudia Cardinale and Raquel Welch:

Western women Claudia Claudia

Western women Raquel_welch_1960s Raquel
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

Nightlinger

Western women Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western women   Western women I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 11:14 pm

I think the comparison of Raquel and Claudia had as much to do with '60's style as with similar features.

I was surprised to see that Dorothy Malone acted from 1943 (including The Big Sleep) through 1992's Basic Instinct, making many westerns along the way, Warlock and Tall Man Riding amongst them.

When I saw The Ten Commandments after I saw The Munsters it made me wonder if her Sophora was a bit earthy for my man Moses. And in McLintock she gives Maureen O'Hara a run for the money as the healthiest woman in the movie. I'd hate to live on the difference.
Back to top Go down
iain
Admin
iain

Western women Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western women   Western women I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 1:18 am

Steve, I can never forgive you!!! Geraldine Paige had bad breath? I'll never be able to watch Hondo again without thinking about this. I knew that she and Duke didn't get on. Paige was a brilliant stage actress ,who would later get an Oscar for best actress at the age of 65 for The Trip To Bountiful. I liked her in Hondo because she stood up to Wayne in every way, but I thought he was backing away from her toughness, not her breath!
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

Tinhorn

Western women Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western women   Western women I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 5:51 am

Ron, you're right about Yvonne DeCarlo in McLintock. Especially the stairway scene!

Also, about Geraldine Paige: She was very nervous around John Wayne and Ward Bond because of their conservative views.
Back to top Go down
Rocky Lane

Rocky Lane

Western women Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western women   Western women I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 3:14 pm

Western women Olzi61urgkdkkgk1Western women Fleming-02-sm

Don't forget...Ella Raines and Rhonda Fleming....
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

Western women Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western women   Western women I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 4:37 pm

or Phyllis Coates, Lois Hall, Marion Shilling, Peggy Stewart & Virginia Vale from all those good old B-westerns.....and one of the best "bad" ladies of them all, Marie Windsor. And then there was Olive Carey as one of the great women character actresses (along with Jeanette Nolan). Donna Reed showed up good in several westerns.....and she didn't do too many westerns, but who can ever forget Jane Darwell from Ox Bow Incident.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Western women Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western women   Western women I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Western women
Page 1 of 1