Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best On Old West Film, Book, TV, And Old West History Discussions

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Staff members
TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:26 pm

» Character and supporting actors
TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat May 07, 2022 2:37 am

» Meet our Staff Members
TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Tue May 03, 2022 6:19 am

» TV WESTERNS ON DVD
TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:06 pm

» December 31 Birthday Wishes
TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:49 pm

» Robert Conrad
TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:14 am

» Richard Devon
TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeby bronco Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 am

» Western-heavy John Doucette
TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

» 1940s western movies
TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 am

» Kirk Douglas Centennial
TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeby Chain Lightning Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:36 am

» FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES
TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeby tomgoldrup Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

» Restoration
TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeby Bullfrogb Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 pm

» Johnny Mack Brown
TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeby cap123ny Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 am

» WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION VOLUME 8 MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION
TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeby Stagecoach Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm

» tv westerns in colour (color) !
TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeby chris Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 am

TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
chris

TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES Empty
PostSubject: TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES   TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 12:13 pm

THE CISCO KID

I have to admit having a soft spot for 'The Cisco Kid'. It was the first TV western I ever saw back in nineteen hundred & frozen stiff. Viewed on a 12" black & white TV with valves ! The stirring music , Cisco's flashy costume & big sombrero greatly impressed me & probably started my love of all westerns.

Cisco was created by writer William Sydney Porter who wrote short stories under the pen name O.Henry. His Cisco story ''The Caballero's Way' bore little resemblance to the later dashing, heroic figure Cisco was to become. Eventually picked up by Hollywood , there were a number of Cisco films starting as early as 1919 with Warner Baxter. Various actors played the role throughout the years & by 1950 Duncan Renaldo had assumed the mantle, with Leo Carillo as Pancho. When it was decided to transfer to television both actors just moved over. Worth noting that Leo Carillo was almost 70 by this time, a curious age to be embarking on a TV series. Goes to show its never too late to become a cowboy hero. He had originally agreed to play Pancho only if the producers would not make the character a buffoon, then proceeded to play him as a complete buffoon !

Cisco was made by ZIV productions , who were responsible for a lot of early US series, Some very successful. Ziv productions were made cheaply & made fast, very fast. Cisco shows were shot in batches of two of three, utilising the same actors usually without costume change. Here in the UK two episodes were shown back to back. As a young kid I was often confused when a character would be a good guy in one segment & a bad guy in the next. An example of how quick they were turned out is when Renaldo was injured & hospitalised during the 1954 season, Rather than shut down they just devised story lines where Cisco would be bandaged or masked & his double (usually Troy Melton ) filled in,footage was culled from earlier episodes & they took a camera into the hospital tp film Renaldo close ups.

Cisco was very much the 'B' western hero. Unbeatable on the draw, honest & upright & anxious to help the oppressed. Villains were black hearted with no redeeming values & you could be sure they would get their just deserts. There was usually a rancher's daughter around for Cisco to flirt with but he would never get involved. To be fair , although it was mostly standard fare there were occasional attempts to do off-beat story lines - such as Cisco tangling with foreign spies or discovering a lost city.

An interesting episode is 'Hidden Valley in ' S3'. Cisco & Pancho are lost in the desert, discover a hidden valley, with a castle. Spend the night & are menaced by spooky goings-on & a mystery hooded man. Get taken prisoner & forced to work as slaves by pirates, Cisco enjoys a knock down, rough & tumble with a giant pirate, Escapes, gets captured by Incas, persuades them to help him & returns & leads a slaves revolt to overthrow the pirates ,after indulging in an Errol Flynn style sword fight with the lead villain. He also solves the hooded man mystery. The whole thing is wrapped up in a brief 25 minutes or so.

Oddly, the Cisco Kid was shot in colour,probably the first TV series to be done this way. It wasn't actually any great foresight by the producers though. They discovered they were able to buy colour stock cheaper than 35mm black & white & whilst filming, it let in more light, meaning they could shoot quicker. They assumed , of course, it would only ever be seen in monochrome so consequently never bothered to match colours or take any care in processing. This has confused reviewers today who complain about faded colour & lack of restoration. The truth being it was never processed properly in the first place.The colour, however, did keep it in syndication for many years.

No of seasons - 6

No of episodes -156

Copyright - Rhodes Enterprises, though possibly earlier episodes may be in the public domain.

Season 1 - 26 eps.(1950/51)
Season 2 - 26 eps.(1951/2)
Season 3 -26 eps. (1952/3)
Season 4 -26 eps.(1953/4)
Season 5 -26 eps.(1954/5)
Season 6 -26 eps.(1955/6)

Network - Syndicated - UK -BBC - (Has also had episodes shown on satellite channels in the 90's)

DVD RELEASES -

The main releases have been by MPI Video in 2004 & 5.They released 4 collections of 20 episodes per collection. For some reason episodes were selected at random from across the 6 seasons.Quality is probably as good as you are ever going to get on this series.Like all ZIV productions, episodes don't have on screen titles & in one instance MPI have titled the episode by the name of the writer !. The collections are still available & can be picked up cheaply on Amazon.

There are also a number of other releases available from PD companies but apart from a couple of segments they are all are included on the MPI sets.

Shame MPI stopped after the 4th set as it would be nice to pick up the other unreleased episodes. They are probably out there on the gray market but I know of no complete runs.

For further information on Cisco I recommend 'THE FILMS OF THE CISCO KID' by Francis M Nevins. This is an in depth look at the films & has a very informative chapter on the TV series.

C'Mon Cisco - Lets Went !
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

Nightlinger

PostSubject: Re: TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES   TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 1:37 pm

This was one of the few action shows my parents would let me watch. Not having any black TV heroes, this (with Mexican heroes), and The Lone Ranger (with Tonto) were the only shows that didn't have all-white leads. And I Love Lucy (Ricky was Cuban).
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

PostSubject: Re: TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES   TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 2:39 pm

Chris---I checked Amazon and MPI has Cisco Kid Collections #1, 2, 3 & 4 with twenty episodes each. It lists some of the titles for the diferent sets, but not for some of them. If you have these can you check and see what set Hidden Valley is in. That episode interests me and Tris Coffin, I see on imdb, plays the villain...so interested in that one. I have about twenty episodes from another dvd, so some would be duplicated, but for the price I'd like to get the set with Hidden Valley. Thanks....Tom. I see it is on a Mill Creek set of Cisco's but from experience I know Mill Creek can be good and can be poor quality. If MPI is better I'd go for that.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES   TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 2:46 pm

Howdy Pards!!

Ooh Cicso!! Ooh Pancho!!

I understand that Duncan Renaldo donated his costume , gun and holster to the Gene Autry Museum.

Ed
Back to top Go down
chris

PostSubject: Re: TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES   TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 3:14 pm

tomgoldrup wrote:
Chris---I checked Amazon and MPI has Cisco Kid Collections #1, 2, 3 & 4 with twenty episodes each. It lists some of the titles for the diferent sets, but not for some of them. If you have these can you check and see what set Hidden Valley is in. That episode interests me and Tris Coffin, I see on imdb, plays the villain...so interested in that one. I have about twenty episodes from another dvd, so some would be duplicated, but for the price I'd like to get the set with Hidden Valley. Thanks....Tom. I see it is on a Mill Creek set of Cisco's but from experience I know Mill Creek can be good and can be poor quality. If MPI is better I'd go for that.

Tom

Hidden Valley is on Collection 3. Nearly all the episodes on Collection 3 have not appeared elsewhere so you should get good value for your money

Regards

Chris
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

PostSubject: Re: TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES   TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 3:54 pm

Thanks Chris....appreciate your help on this. Going to order it even if I didn't win the mega million lottery here in the States..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES   TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TV WESTERNS ON DVD PT 4 - KIDS SERIES
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion :: Western :: TV WESTERNS ON DVD-
Jump to: