Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best On Old West Film, Book, TV, And Old West History Discussions

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Staff members
February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:26 pm

» Character and supporting actors
February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat May 07, 2022 2:37 am

» Meet our Staff Members
February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Tue May 03, 2022 6:19 am

» TV WESTERNS ON DVD
February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:06 pm

» December 31 Birthday Wishes
February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:49 pm

» Robert Conrad
February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:14 am

» Richard Devon
February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby bronco Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 am

» Western-heavy John Doucette
February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

» 1940s western movies
February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 am

» Kirk Douglas Centennial
February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Chain Lightning Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:36 am

» FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES
February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby tomgoldrup Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

» Restoration
February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Bullfrogb Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 pm

» Johnny Mack Brown
February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby cap123ny Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 am

» WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION VOLUME 8 MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION
February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Stagecoach Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm

» tv westerns in colour (color) !
February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby chris Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 am

February 13 Birthday Wishes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Manco

Manco

February 13 Birthday Wishes Empty
PostSubject: February 13 Birthday Wishes   February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:50 am

February 13 Birthday Wishes Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVd5uCw0owlpeCP_cxm6I7XHi_MQIPDMcuE5bgNoYoycLmPnEdWQ Lyle Bettiger [1915 - 2003]

February 13 Birthday Wishes Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSK6_Chyuk70HaTKEXKPgzpgqdwH962YT3q23ZETuRTteybBMjg James Griffith [1916 - 1993]

February 13 Birthday Wishes Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1H71fuIhASzNlyq6EoTssYYS5JYJSuetwTfY96evvaM38hAb-WA Susan Oliver [1932 - 1990]

February 13 Birthday Wishes Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRwIc8XFWjPjGecTDldd5OQHHQp2JmB2CpeVHj8yiTsDdBZTxH Oliver Reed [1938 - 1999]

February 13 Birthday Wishes Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQr6T4MsXFzeIfeYyqLfbis40eRN9KIHTejsOoe6wX-eIn82sUD Bo Svenson [1944 - ]
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: February 13 Birthday Wishes   February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 12:06 pm

Howdy Manco!!

Lyle Bettger was another excellent supporting actor, who was typecast as a heavy. He appeared on every western t.v. series on t.v. during the 50's and 60's. His forte was the clever, cunning, intelligent criminal, leader of the gang, who had to be outsmarted by the hero.

I first saw James Griffith on the ole 50's t.v. series, Sheriff Of Cochise with John Bromfield, where he played Bromfield's deputy. Like Lyle Bettger, he most frequently played heavies in films and t.v, but he could also play farmers, preachers, and drunks with equal talent.

The beautiful Susan Oliver!!!! She often appeared as a guest star on shows like The Rifleman, The Virginian. She was also a aviator in real life, but will probably be best remembered from the original Star Trek pilot, The Menagerie with Jeffrey Hunter as Capt. Pike.

What can you say about Oliver Reed?? A man's man?? A bawdy macho, hard drinker, who was pals with Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton. A great actor, who appeared in many films like, Curse Of The Werewolf, Burnt Offerings, Lion Of The Desert and his last film, Gladiator, with Russell Crowe. He once had a glass of wine dumped on his head by Shelly Winters, on the Johnny Carson show, becasue of his derogatory comments about women. I also remember a news report from Lynchburg Va,, where he was arrested in a bar, after declaring he could whip any man in the bar!! He also appeared in a couple of westerns. The Hunting Party with Candice Bergen and the hilarious Great Scout And Cathouse Thursday, with Lee Marvin and Strother Martin!! He died at the young age of 61 and is buried within sight of his favorite pub, at his request!!

About the only thing I remember about Bo Svenson is his remakes of Joe Don Baker's, Walking Tall as Sheriff Buford Pusser and his very noticeable Swedish accent.

Ed

Last edited by Chain Lightning on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: February 13 Birthday Wishes   February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 5:55 pm

I've seen Susan Oliver in so many things, like The Gene Krupa Story with Sal Mineo, as Hank Williams' wife Audrey in Your Cheating Heart with George Hamilton, Guns of Diablo with Charles Bronson, several TV episodes, and it's still the Star Trek episode that I remember her from most.

And Oliver Reed played a good range of characters: The werewolf in Hammer's Curse of the Werewolf, Athos in The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers as well as The Return of the Musketeers, the nutty Indian in The Great Scout and Cathouse Thursday, and Ann-Margret's lover in Tommy.

And Buford Pusser pops up 2 day in row! what were the chances of that happening?
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

PostSubject: Re: February 13 Birthday Wishes   February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:58 pm

Just watched Lyle Bettger last night when he guest-starred in an episode of Laramie. He was one of the great screen villains of the 1950's, and then became the good guy on the TV series "Court of the Last Resort." Don't come any better than Lyle Bettger.
And the same can be said about Jim Griffith who my brother and I had the pleasure to know personally. A super nice guy that so often played bad characters in the movies. He co-starred as two real western characters in two 1950's Columbia westerns...Pat Garrett in "The Law vs. Billy the Kid" (with Scott Brady in the title role) and as Doc Holliday in "Masterson of Kansas" (with George Montgomery as the star). Both Bettger and Griffith are among my favorites.
Oliver Reed was always great to watch in films as well. He played a long range of characters and was very good.
I remember Bo Swenson, but can't pick out a particular film in my mind to comment on, and not as familiar with Susan Oliver, but happy birthday to them as well along with the other three I mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: February 13 Birthday Wishes   February 13 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

February 13 Birthday Wishes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion :: Western :: Biographies: Biography, Writers, Actors :: "Today's Birthday Wishes/Greetings-
Jump to: