Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best On Old West Film, Book, TV, And Old West History Discussions

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Staff members
Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:26 pm

» Character and supporting actors
Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat May 07, 2022 2:37 am

» Meet our Staff Members
Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Tue May 03, 2022 6:19 am

» TV WESTERNS ON DVD
Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:06 pm

» December 31 Birthday Wishes
Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:49 pm

» Robert Conrad
Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:14 am

» Richard Devon
Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeby bronco Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 am

» Western-heavy John Doucette
Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

» 1940s western movies
Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 am

» Kirk Douglas Centennial
Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeby Chain Lightning Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:36 am

» FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES
Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeby tomgoldrup Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

» Restoration
Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeby Bullfrogb Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 pm

» Johnny Mack Brown
Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeby cap123ny Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 am

» WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION VOLUME 8 MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION
Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeby Stagecoach Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm

» tv westerns in colour (color) !
Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeby chris Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 am

Animal stories in the movies

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

Animal stories in the movies Empty
PostSubject: Animal stories in the movies   Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 7:44 pm

Ross Elliott enjoyed several episodes of The Virginian, on which he was a regular as Sheriff Mark Abbott. He once told Jim and I:
“I saw one recently and it was kind of fun, because it made me think of Chips, my dog that died recently. I took him with me and we were on the backlot where the Shiloh Ranch House was. He spent the day and behaved himself; for some reason I couldn’t leave him home and we tied him up on the mock front of the ranch house. He was sitting on the porch and there was a horse, the one I was riding, tied up facing the porch. Chips very slowly, he’s never seen a horse before, snuck up closer and closer and the horse put his head down and started to nuzzle Chips. Now Chips took his big right paw and put it up, as to say that’s far enough. He pushed, and the horse nuzzled him; you know, the velvet lip routine. Chips looked at that, got up and went down on the ground and checked the horse out, put his forelegs up on his weathers and the horse put his head down. Then Chips went around and was now looking in his eyes, the horse gave sort of a whinny and he gave the horse a kiss. They became inseparable; the shooting stopped and the cast and crew couldn’t get over it, it was so funny. Every time Chips left him, the horse whinnied and we had to bring him back; we couldn’t do any shooting without having them together. A funny routine.” Tom.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

Animal stories in the movies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal stories in the movies   Animal stories in the movies I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:03 am

Howdy Tom!!

Thanks pard, for taking the time and sharing these memories of Ross Elliott with us. Like all the good supporting actors of the 50'-70's, Elliott appeared on most of the ole western series, but he became a staple as the Sheriff on The Virginian. I never knew that the Shiloh ranch house was just a front!! I assumed that it was a real house on someone's ranch, where they occassionally shot footage of the house. I knew that the inside shots were filmed back at the studio because the studio rooms don't have ceilings, so that they can manipulate the audio boom overhead and from outside the room. Good story about the dog and the horse!! Just goes to show that animals have more intelligence than we give them credit for. After all, the Orca or Killer whale has a brain that weighs 12 pounds and is six times larger than ours and about the only thing that we know for sure about them, is that they do communicate with each other!!

Thanks again

Ed
Back to top Go down

Animal stories in the movies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion :: Western :: Western Characters of Film and TV-
Jump to: