Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best On Old West Film, Book, TV, And Old West History Discussions

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Staff members
 Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:26 pm

» Character and supporting actors
 Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat May 07, 2022 2:37 am

» Meet our Staff Members
 Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Tue May 03, 2022 6:19 am

» TV WESTERNS ON DVD
 Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:06 pm

» December 31 Birthday Wishes
 Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:49 pm

» Robert Conrad
 Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:14 am

» Richard Devon
 Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeby bronco Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 am

» Western-heavy John Doucette
 Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

» 1940s western movies
 Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 am

» Kirk Douglas Centennial
 Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeby Chain Lightning Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:36 am

» FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES
 Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeby tomgoldrup Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

» Restoration
 Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeby Bullfrogb Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 pm

» Johnny Mack Brown
 Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeby cap123ny Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 am

» WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION VOLUME 8 MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION
 Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeby Stagecoach Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm

» tv westerns in colour (color) !
 Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeby chris Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 am

Actor Glen Ford

Go down 
+8
iain
tomgoldrup
Chain Lightning
Tinhorn
cap123ny
Cole Thornton
Manco
indiangirl
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
indiangirl
Admin
indiangirl

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 3:58 pm

I don't remember the movies I may have watched with Glen Ford throughout
the years. In the recent months Mike & I have found his movies to
be very good. He really is a great actor.

Last night we watched for the 1st time

COWBOY " 1958"

Stars: Glenn Ford, Jack Lemmon and Anna Kashf

Actor Glen Ford Cowboy11

Fun
filled, great scenery. Good story all together. If you're thinking
about taking up a new trade of being a Cowboy for a occupation, then you
best watch " COWBOY" FIRST.

Storyline

Chicago hotel clerk Frank Harris (Jack Lemmon)dreams of life as a cowboy, and he
gets his chance when, jilted by the father of the woman he loves, he
joins Tom Reece(Glenn Ford) and his cattle-driving outfit. Soon, though, the
tenderfoot finds out life on the range is neither what he expected nor
what he's been looking for.

How would you like to have been in Frank's shoes?
What
a way to go find the girl of his dreams and only to find
out................. . You remember the story, if not time to pull it
off the shelf, dust off the dirt and bring this movie to life again.
Find out how he learned to be a real cowboy.

Great story, real nice scenery, and you will laugh and laugh some more.

You
have fights, rattlesnake scene where it turns deadly, romance,
cattle-driving , stampede, Indians, much, much more. Nice guy turns out
acting just like Tom Reece(Glenn Ford) .

Love
how Tom, Glen Ford gets rid of cockroaches don't you! Or when Frank
goes out on the trail with cattle-driving outfit and by the time he gets
to finally take a rest, he can't sit from his bum hurting so bad. Has
to be doctored and massaged. Then only be told by Tom to get back to
work. Loved it!
Back to top Go down
https://brokenarrowwestern.forumotion.com
Manco

Manco

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 6:38 pm

Enjoyed Ford in this film, but Lemmon got on my nerves after awhile. I was hoping they leave him out on the prairie somewhere and continue on with the herd.
Back to top Go down
indiangirl
Admin
indiangirl

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 1:21 am

I'm not a Jack Lemmon fan, but you had to feel sorry for him sometimes in
COWBOY. He was the only nice one on the trail. Tell close to the end, then he was just as bad asTom Reece(Glenn Ford). Even surprised Tom.
Back to top Go down
Cole Thornton

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 2:04 pm

Glad I find other people who could only take Jack Lemmon in small doses. I've found myself over the years in the same boat with Jerry Lewis and Steve Martin.
Back to top Go down
cap123ny
Admin
cap123ny

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 2:08 pm

Ford made many great westerns. He was my Dad's favorite western actor. Check out "The Rounders" w/ Henry Fonda or "Desperadoes" w/ Randolph Scott and Claire Trevor. Also very good' "The Sheepman", "Fastest Gun Alive", "The Violent Men" and of course the original "3:10 To Yuma". Ford was also an excellent horseman.
Back to top Go down
indiangirl
Admin
indiangirl

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 2:28 pm

I have to agree with you Steve, The Rounders" Glen Ford w/ Henry Fonda is very good and so is " The Sheepman".I bought both of them from Wb's archives.

I earned points from disneymovierewards and used some of my points to get the movie "Smith" with Glen Ford. That is very good. Anyone ever seen it.

It's about, STORY: Glenn Ford stars as the rancher Smith, who is driving his family
to frustration with his gentle procastinating ways that have kept the
farm from doing well. The hay needs to be cut, and he is distracted with
his ongoing friendships with a local Nez Perce native american tribe.
When a tribal member is wrongly accused of murder, Smith comes to his
defense. As a sign of the tribe's gratitude, they help train a horse
from the ranch, and they help get the hay crop in on time.

I see someone has it for sale used probably for $ 56.78 + shipping.
And it's for a VHS tape to boot.

What about

Jubal
Starring Glenn Ford, Ernest Borgnine, Rod Steiger, and Valerie French
(DVD - 2005)
It's a great movie as well.

This one is not a Western but it's very good.
Blackboard Jungle
Starring Glenn Ford, Anne Francis, Vic Morrow, and Louis Calhern
(DVD - 2005)
Can you imagine Glen Ford being a school teacher!
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

Tinhorn

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 5:44 pm

Let's not forget The Violent Men, with Edward G. Robinson and Barbara Stanwyck. And his small, but important role as Jonathan Kent in Superman.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 2:02 am

Howdy Pards!!

Gotta agree, Jack Lemmon just wasn't cut out for westerns!! When we think of his talents, we usually think of Some Like It Hot, Mister Roberts, The Odd Couple, The Apartment and my all time favorite, The Great Race, when once again, he was teamed with Tony Curtis as Professor Fate in this classic comedy. BUT, we must give credit where credit is due and in dramatic roles, we have to remember The Days Of Wine And Roses with Lee Remick and The China Syndrome with Jane Fonda and Michael Douglas. When Jack put his heart into it, he could pull off a dramatic role with believability. I think Jack was just too hyper in his younger days for westerns. I recently saw a t.v. remake of 12 Angry Men with Jack in the role that Henry Fonda played in the original movie and although he was no Henry Fonda, he gave it a good try.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

Tinhorn

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 10:43 am

Don't be too harsh on Jack Lemon in Cowboy. He actually fits the role he's playing: a snotty tenderfoot who wants to be a cowboy, and finds out its more work than play. Someone more used to sleeping in on a feather bed than sleeping in the rough and getting up before the sun. And who better to play the hard nosed trail boss than Glen Ford.
Back to top Go down
indiangirl
Admin
indiangirl

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 10:54 am

Tinhorn wrote:
Don't be too harsh on Jack Lemon in Cowboy. He actually fits the role he's playing: a snotty tenderfoot who wants to be a cowboy, and finds out its more work than play. Someone more used to sleeping in on a feather bed than sleeping in the rough and getting up before the sun. And who better to play the hard nosed trail boss than Glen Ford.

Tinhorn, Exactly my thoughts as well.
At first I thought I don't care for Jack Lemon in this movie but he pulled it off. That's my opinion. He figured being a Cowboy was going to be easy, no sweat. He fits the part.
Maybe you all need to watch it again. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Manco

Manco

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 1:57 pm

Actor Glen Ford Logo

My favorie Glenn Ford appearance was his TV series "Cade's County (1971-1972) with Edgar Buchanan. Ford played a modern day sheriff who drove a jeep to cover his jurisdiction located in the Southwest part of the U.S.
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Glenn Ford played several excellent villains along the way too.....The Man from Colorado where he is a crazed Civil War soldier who carries on his brutality as a judge who finally pays for his injustice; another...a non-western set in Spain where he is a good man driven into outlawy with a band of gypsies and becomes brutal in this one too. And then there was "Lust for Gold" in which he was also a murderer in this tale of the Lost Dutchman Mine at Superstition Mountain in Arizona. I have always enjoyed Ford's work. Another good one was Man from Colorado along with those others mentioned in the above posts. And one of my favorite screwball comedies is The Gazebo. When ever I need a laugh this one will bring it out. Yep, Ford was great in a large range of characters that he has played. We have several of his very early films when he was in his 20's and he was good in those too. He and his pal, James Griffith, started out together doing plays in the Los Angeles area before they ended up in front of the camera. Ford got his old friend into several of his pictures so it shows he was also loyal to his old friends. Tom.
Back to top Go down
indiangirl
Admin
indiangirl

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 1:48 pm

Ed,

I have meant to tell you over & over again how much I enjoyed "Lust for Gold" in which he was a murderer in this tale of the Lost Dutchman Mine at Superstition Mountain in Arizona. I had that bookmarked for the longest time but never would go down in price. When you mentioned it to us, I checked my bookmarked page and it was down in price so bought it right away.
I love mysteries.
As many times I have driven close to it, you could see Superstition Mountain from the main highway I have never driven up to it. Maybe my next trip to AZ I will have to drive up to the Park. I will have to watch the movie before I go to AZ again.

Glen Ford was good in this one. He was bad to the bone!
Back to top Go down
iain
Admin
iain

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 12:50 am

Sandy,

I think Jubal is one of the GREAT Westerns, and is very under-rated, just like it's star, Glen Ford. I don't think we talk of Glen Ford often enough. He brought an intensity to the screen, which few others' were able to do. I agree The Blackboard Jungle was excellent, also Gilda, with Rita Hayworth. As a boy I loved The Fastest Gun Alive, where, like Cooper in High Noon (despite his woodenness !!!!!), he was able to project a vulnerability that few leading men were willing to show. I've always felt this would have been one of the great, classic Westerns if the bad guy, Broderick Crawford, had just been a little badder, and the final shootout a little more prolonged. Because of this it hasn't aged well.

I think the low-point of Ford's career was the remake of Cimarron, which I've always found to be a "plodder".

I haven't seen The Sheepman, but I'll see what I can do about that.

Iain
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 1:30 am

Howdy Pards!!

Sandy, like you, I throughly enjoyed Lust For Gold. Every once in a while, T.C.M. will reach w-a-y back into the vaults and pull out a really surprising film made back 60 or so years ago. Why it hasn't become a classic like Treasure Of The Sierra Madre, I don't know. It has all the right ingredients, great talent. mystery, all kinds of shenanigans, searching for treasure. A real treat to watch even for a small budget film. The snake special effects may have been a bit hokey, but no blue screen or C.G.I. used here, Just the real beauty of the Superstition mountains. If Hollywood is looking for a candidate for another remake, this film would be a great one to consider, although as Tom said, I'm not sure the present day crop of actors could do it justice. At any rate, as I said in my earlier post about this film, it was declared part of the National Parks, which meant no guns and no treasure hunting. UNTIL the Supreme Court's ruling on guns in National Parks became effective. SO, if you see somebody that looks like Henry Fonda's hermit prospector in Wanda Nevada, while you're hiking the Superstitions, it might pay you to head the other way, immediately if not sooner!! Otherwise you're liable to become part of the legend of Lust For Gold in the middle of the Superstition mountains!! I remember watching a documentary on the Superstitions and the Lost Dutchman's gold mine about 10 years ago, before it was made a National Park. There were some odd folks in there, that had spent much of their adult lives searching for that mine and they were all carrying guns!! They were literally living in those mountains, campfires, pickaxes, burros and the whole bit!!

Ed
Back to top Go down
cap123ny
Admin
cap123ny

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:00 pm

A very early Ford film was "Heaven With a Barbed Wire Fence", a good story of down on their luck people trying to get to the west during the Great Depression. Filmed in 1939 while the Depression was still in full force, if you enjoy films like "The Grapes of Wrath" you'll probably enjoy this one. It featured Ward Bond and Jean Rogers. Ford was also very good in "The Sacketts" and "The Secret of Convict Lake". He could do comedy as well, watch "Advance to the Rear", "The Rounders" and "Imitation General"
Back to top Go down
westernnut
Admin
westernnut

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: LUST FOR GOLD    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 11:39 am

Pards,
Like Night of the Hunter,on another thread,I dont think I,ve ever seen Lust for Gold???
I,ll have to do something about that,although,it,s maybe one of these films that after the first five minutes my memory has been jogged,and I have seen it,how many times does THAT happen??ha!
As far as Glen Ford is concerned,well,Mr Ford had the talent to go from hero to villain almost immediately,very similar to Richard Widmark,and I also agree with Iain,a "better" bad guy than Broderick Crawford could have made Fastest Gun a much,much better western,no disrespect to Mr Crawford,just imagine Glen Ford as the bad guy????now that would have been something!!!
A wee question for our more knowledgeable Pards,was Ford and Widmark ever in the same film?????
Ford,s performance in The Sacketts is very much undervalued,IMO,his "transformation" from good guy to BAD guy is,almost,unique,to him and Widmark.
Glen Ford had this "talent" to be able to play "ordinary guys",and within a split second,make you realise,"he aint to be messed with"!!!!!!!!
Davy,westernnut.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Howdy Pards!!

Davy, I can't think of any film that Glenn Ford and Richard Widmark were in together, off the top of my head, but if you wanna see a good film, check out Lust For Gold!! With Will Geer, Ida Lupino, Gig Young, Edgar Buchanan and Glenn Ford, it's a doosie!!

Ed
Back to top Go down
indiangirl
Admin
indiangirl

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 11:39 pm

Hey Pard's,

I'm watching a real good Glen Ford movie I don't believe have ever seen before.

It's called " Texas" 1941. I'm in the middle of watching it. Taking a break for a few minutes. It's been a fun one to watch. Wow, Glen Ford sure is young in this one. I never would have guessed the other young man was William Holden. Wow! Never would have guessed. They both must be maybe guessing early 20's.

Stars: William Holden, Glenn Ford and Claire Trevor

It's about Two young men head west in search of fortune and adventure.

Well, back to " Texas".

Last edited by admin on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 2:48 am

Edgar Buchanan, who is in almost every other western ever made it seems, plays a scoundrel in that one (Texas). Yes, Ford and Holden are very young in this one. They teamed up again seven or eight years later in a really good western called "Man from Colorado." This is one of those times Ford plays a real psychotic bad guy. Myron Healey is in it too. A good one.
On another post, yes, Pharoh's Army is a good film set in the Civil War, and "The Colt" is one of my favorites. Just watched a good Virginian episode with John Dehner, another of those really good actors I always enjoy watching, or...as far as radio goes...listening to. His early career in movies had nothing to do with acting...glad he switched over to performing as he makes any film he is in fun to watch. Tom.
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

Nightlinger

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 3:50 pm

One of the best parts of The Hallelujah Trail was John Dehner's narration.
Back to top Go down
indiangirl
Admin
indiangirl

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Hello Gang,

Haven't had time to say what I have been watching lately. Been some Grrrrrrrreat ones I have to say.

A few nights ago watched "
The Violent Men
". Can't believe that is a "1955" movie. Great movie!
Great cast: Of course Glenn Ford,
Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson & Brian Keith

What great scenery, great horse riding, ( would love some of those antiques in that house Very Happy ), Oh heck, just give the house and the land to go with it.
Good story as you may already know and a good ending.
Barbara Stanwyck, was a nasty ole gal on this one. Made you NOT like her in this one. Same way with Brian Keith & Edward G. Robinson. Nasty, nasty!!

Tonight I just might go for: The 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Just got this one from Warner Brother Archive.

This is what this one is about.

synopsis:
The lazy son of an Argentinean beef tycoon becomes a heroic soldier
while fighting for the French resistance during WWII. Sweeping epic
stars Glenn Ford ("The Big Heat," "Blackboard Jungle"), Oscar-winners
Charles Boyer ("Gaslight"), Lee J. Cobb ("How the West Was Won," "The
Brothers Karamazov") and Paul Lukas ("Watch on the Rhine," "20,000
Leagues Under the Sea"). Directed by the brilliant Academy Award-winner
Vincente Minnelli ("Gigi," "An American in Paris"). With
internationally-acclaimed stars Ingrid Thulin ("The Silence," "The
Damned") and Paul Henreid ("Casablanca").

Should be pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Rory Calhoun

Rory Calhoun

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 11:56 am

I agree with everyone on Glenn Ford being a great western actor. Another great western he was in is "Day Of The Evil Gun" with Arthur Kennedy, John Anderson and Dean Jagger. I got my copy from WWW.RAREMOVIESUK.CO.UK You should check out his site for rare westerns.They are very reasonably priced and very good quality.
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

Nightlinger

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 5:42 pm

I just ordered Rio Conchos, The Big Sky, and Ride Beyond Vengeance from RareMovies. They say it could take quite a long time to arrive so I'll let you all know how it goes when it goes.
Back to top Go down
Rory Calhoun

Rory Calhoun

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 6:59 pm

Nightlinger wrote:
I just ordered Rio Conchos, The Big Sky, and Ride Beyond Vengeance from RareMovies. They say it could take quite a long time to arrive so I'll let you all know how it goes when it goes.

Hi Nightlinger,
You won't be dissappointed! I have bought Rio Conchos and Ride Beyond Vengeance. They are both very good quality.
Rory Calhoun
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Actor Glen Ford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Actor Glen Ford    Actor Glen Ford I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Actor Glen Ford
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion :: Western :: Western Characters of Film and TV-
Jump to: