Broken Arrow: Western Movie, Book, TV, and History Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best On Old West Film, Book, TV, And Old West History Discussions

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Staff members
October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:26 pm

» Character and supporting actors
October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat May 07, 2022 2:37 am

» Meet our Staff Members
October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Tue May 03, 2022 6:19 am

» TV WESTERNS ON DVD
October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:06 pm

» December 31 Birthday Wishes
October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:49 pm

» Robert Conrad
October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:14 am

» Richard Devon
October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby bronco Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 am

» Western-heavy John Doucette
October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

» 1940s western movies
October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Laramie Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 am

» Kirk Douglas Centennial
October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Chain Lightning Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:36 am

» FORTHCOMING & RECENT RELEASES
October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby tomgoldrup Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

» Restoration
October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Bullfrogb Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 pm

» Johnny Mack Brown
October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby cap123ny Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 am

» WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION VOLUME 8 MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION
October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby Stagecoach Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm

» tv westerns in colour (color) !
October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeby chris Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 am

October 7 Birthday Wishes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Manco

Manco

October 7 Birthday Wishes Empty
PostSubject: October 7 Birthday Wishes   October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 11:27 am

Andy Devine [1905 - 1977]
Tommy Farrell [1921 - 2004]
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: October 7 Birthday Wishes   October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 11:56 am

Howdy Manco!!

Andy Devine first showed up in silent films, back in 1926, in a film titled, The Collegians. Believe it or not, Andy appeared in almost 150 films, including the 1939 John Wayne film, Stagecoach and Red Badge Of Courage, before receiving any real attention. It was the new medium t.v., and the 1951-1958 kiddie show, The Adventures Of Wild Bill Hickok and his role as Jingle .P. Jones, the sidekick of Guy Madison, that brought him national attention. With his high raspy voice and his rotund figure and comical hi-jinks on the show, the kids just ate it up. He next took on The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn and Two Rode Together, before being cast in the role that would define his career. That of Marshal Link Appleyard in the 1962 movie, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence. He also was cast in the epic western, How The West Was Won and the comedy favorite, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World. Andy would continue to appear on t.v. shows like The Virginian and Alias Smith And Jones right up until the time of his death in 1977. Both John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart attended his funeral! An excellent actor and one whose voice you will never forget!!

Tommy Farrell was one of those actors, whose face it is difficult to remember. I had to look him up on google and still don't remember him. He appeared in 49 films, including Singing In The Rain, North By Northwest and Kissin Cousins, but was only credited in Kissin Cousins. He had recurring roles on several t.v. series beginning in the late 50's, with This Is Alice, The Adventures Of Rin Tin Tin, Bourbon Street Beat, Room For One More and F Troop. One of those actors who contributed to both film and t.v., but is difficult to bring to mind.

Ed

Last edited by Chain Lightning on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: October 7 Birthday Wishes   October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 12:21 pm

Andy Devine is one of the great character actors of the history of cinema. He played in anything from B Westerns to A movies like Romeo and Juliet (1936) and A Star Is Born (1937). Usually he played nervous characters, but sometimes he played the hero, as he did in Island in the Sky. He appeard in 400 movies, most notably as Buck the driver in Stagecoach (1939) and as he reluctant marshal in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. On TV, he played Guy Madison's sidekick Jingles on The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok, as well as host the children's show Andy's Gang from 1955-1960, and he was a guest on Jack Benny's radio show over 75 times. He had a very distinctive voice, and when he was asked if he had "strange nodes" on his vocal chords he replied "I have the same nodes as Bing Crosby, only his are in tune." He died of leukemia at the age of 71.

Tommy Farrell was the son of Warners contract actress Glenda Farrell, and played Cpl. Thad Carson on The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin. His film appearances include Strangers on a Train, North By Northwest, Singing in the Rain, and Breakfast at Tiffany's. Besides a recurring role on Here's Lucy, his other TV appearances include Cheyenne, Maverick, Gunsmoke, The Munsters, The Addams Family, Gomer Pyle, and F Troop.
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin
tomgoldrup

PostSubject: Re: October 7 Birthday Wishes   October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 5:26 pm

Tommy Farrell is one of those actors that Jim and I had the pleasure of visiting a number of times. Besides the shows mentioned above, Tommy also played sidekick to Whip Wilson in a number of films, and also appeared in films with Johnny Mack Brown (like Colorado Ambush, recently released on DVD by Critix's Choice in a set of about seven other Monogram westerns which I ordered for on October 2 and hopefully will arrive soon). He also worked in some of those old serials they used to make. He also did stand up comic routines on the stage. A great guy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October 7 Birthday Wishes   October 7 Birthday Wishes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

October 7 Birthday Wishes
Page 1 of 1